Our 10 point prescription for the NHS
7th July 2018
Our NHS turned 70 this week, and Labour activists were out across the country delivering birthday cards to NHS staff.
It was a pleasure to give my thanks to NHS staff this morning on the health service's 70th birthday.
For too long they have suffered falling pay and a lack of resources.
— Richard Leonard (@LabourRichard) July 5, 2018
1. Use the tax powers of the Scottish Parliament to deliver more money for our NHS.
2. A health inequality assessment of every government policy to ensure a positive impact on health outcomes.
3. A credible and deliverable workforce plan. Reverse cuts to training places made by Nicola Sturgeon and delivering a meaningful pay increase and a return to collective bargaining.
4. A generational shift in mental health services with access to a mental health counsellor for every school and crisis mental health services.
5. Protection of local NHS services to stop threats to paediatric, maternity and Out of Hour services.
6. Taking the fight against Scotland’s biggest killer head on with a cancer diagnosis within 2 weeks.
7. Access to vital lifesaving medicines, so patients don’t have to share their intimate stories on the front pages of newspapers or by protesting outside Parliament in order to get the medicines they need.
8. Adequately fund local government so we can end cuts to social care budgets and the scandal of 15 minute care visits.
9. Access to free sport and a bold obesity strategy so we can prioritise prevention and promote good health and wellbeing.
10. Impose a cap on what private agencies can charge for a single shift so that we can reduce agency spending which has skyrocketed under this government.